“The breadth and depth of my experience, as well as the diversity of the agencies and the communities I have served, make me uniquely qualified among the candidates for Sheriff Monterey County.”
Transformational Leader with 33 years of law-enforcement, public safety, and government management experience in developing and executing innovative strategies that result in positive impacts on the community. Effective team builder capable of motivating individuals to accomplish goals, fulfill missions, and reach organizational visions.
• Executive Leadership • Police Contracting • Interagency Coordination • Emergency Management • Budget Development/Management • Community Responsive Policing • Personnel Development • Project Planning • Organizational Development
A Results-oriented Team Builder
Jeff leverages strong leadership and analytical skills to achieve results in complex situations.
- Experience as a Municipal executive serving in Acting City Manager, Assistant City Manager and Chief of Police roles.
- Proven Chief of Police responsible for redeveloping two police agencies and directing a complex police consolidation.
- Experience in building effective and meaningful partnerships, with diverse groups, to help accomplish goals and increase the quality of life in the community.
- 32-year law enforcement veteran with experience in a wide array of operational, tactical and administrative roles.
- 15 years’ experience in traditional and unique mission law enforcement, supervision, command and leadership.
“The breadth and depth of my experience,
as well as the diversity of the agencies and
the communities I have served, make me
uniquely qualified among the candidates
for Sheriff Monterey County.”
Assistant City Manager/Chief of Police, Del Rey Oaks, California
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with other agencies, public, City Council and City Manager.
- Plans, organizes and coordinates the work of the Police Department.
- Assume direct responsibility for monitoring and administering a variety of programs; oversee assigned administrative support functions including budget.
- Develop and implement operational, administrative, program, and other policies and procedures; assist in contract negotiations and administration.
- Participate in drafting and implementing City-wide and departmental goals, policies, and procedures.
- Serve as City liaison/facilitator with public and private organizations, community groups and other related organizations
- Develops sound and lawful department strategies to address needs for public safety.
- Makes public presentations to various community clubs and organizations.
- Serves as Acting City Manager in the absence of the City Manager
Chief of Police, Del Rey Oaks, California
- Developed and implemented the Police Department’s first Strategic Plan; based on President Obama’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing, and separate internal and external organizational assessments.
- Lead and direct a results-oriented, full-service, community-responsive police agency dedicated to the vision of being “a model small town police department,” with the overarching goal of execcuting the City’s overall mission.
- Selected to lead, manage, and redevelop two separate police agencies simultaneously
- Proposed, planned, and executed a police consolidation project combining 2 police agencies, each with unique missions (municipal and transportation special district), resulting in cost savings of approximately 18% of their combined budgets. The resulting larger agency has dramatically increased police service levels.
- Developed and manage contract model to provide law enforcement services to the Monterey Peninsula Airport District.
- Instituted a training and development program to provide advanced supervisory and leadership training to all officers of the agency, with a focus on succession planning and developing every level of the organization.
- Led efforts to integrate the Del Rey Oaks Police Department in to regional law enforcement teams, including; the Peninsula Regional Violence and Narcotics Task Force, and the Peninsula Special Response Unit.
- Proposed, developed and implemented the City’s first citizen Police Advisory Committee, to enhance transparency and trust.
- Elected President of the Monterey County Chief Law Enforcement Officers Association 2017 & 2018, and Secretary 2015 & 2016.
- Member of the California Police Chiefs Association’s Law and Legislative Committee, and Cannabis Committee.
- Current Executive Board Chair, Peninsula Regional Violence and Narcotics Task Force
Acting City Manager, Del Rey Oaks, California
- Served as Chief Executive for the City managing a $5 million-dollar annual budget, 15 full-time personnel, 8 part time employees, and a diverse consultant staff.
- Responsible for all City administration and day to day decision making.
- Conducted economic development for the City to ensure revenue streams that sustain high quality municipal services.
- Served the City Council of 5 elected officials including Council agenda and packet preparation, Council decision making and implementation.
- Oversaw the City’s Capital Projects Program including $19M in current projects.
- Managed a Police Services Agreement with the Monterey Regional Airport that improved law enforcement services to the City and the Airport while saving each agency $250,000 per year.
- Was responsive to community needs in a timely fashion to ensure a high degree of confidence in government from residents, businesses and visitors.
Chief of Police/Senior Manager, Monterey Peninsula Airport District
- Redeveloped an under-performing police agency through the implementation of clear mission, vision, & values statements, a focus on personnel and department development, the development of a clear organizational structure, and the cultivation of a positive and motivated work atmosphere where people are treated well while being held accountable for their actions.
- Selected to lead and manage three separate Airport District Departments: Police, Fire (managing a 2-million-dollar fire services contract), and Airport Operations. Responsible for the management of all law enforcement, federally mandated aviation security, public safety, emergency management, and airport operations functions.
- Reduced District’s operating budget approximately 10% through critical budget management, TSA MOU renegotiation, fire contract renegotion, re-focused police operations, and police contracting services.
- Extensive experience building collaborative relationships with special district, municipal, county, state, and federal agencies to further public safety and public service missions.
- Increased Police Department training budget by over 300%; replaced and improved all outdated critical police equipment including weapons systems, vehicles, office equipment, and training aides, resulting in increased professionalism and capabilities.
Police Sergeant, Port of Seattle Police Department
- Managed Office of Professional Development. Responsible for all stages of police training and development for a 100+ member agency including; Field Training Officer program, in-service training, and career development programs.
- Initiated cutting-edge training programs that focused on Reality Based Training strategies, leadership development, and goal-oriented Field Training. Led efforts to increase civilian member training (dispatch, support services, etc.).
- Developed active shooter response strategies for airport environments which were adopted at airports across the United States.
- Patrol watch commander.
- Port of Seattle EOC (Emergency Operations Center) manager.
- Regularly tasked as Incident Commander in multi-agency, critical incident emergency responses.
- Valley Regional Civil Disturbance Team; field commander, bike team leader, training coordinator.
Deputy Sheriff, King County Sheriff’s Office, Seattle, Washington
- Aircraft Rescue Firefighter/Police Officer, King County International Airport
- Patrol Deputy
Police K9 Handler, Fort Collins Police Services, Colorado
- Patrol K9 Handler
- Crime Scene Investigator
- Community Policing District Officer
- Patrol Officer
School Resource Officer, Wheat Ridge Police Department, Colorado
- School Resource Officer/DARE Instructor
- SWAT team member
- Defensive Tactics Instructor
- Patrol Officer
Deputy Sheriff, Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office, Littleton, Colorado
- Detention Division Deputy
Private Sector Consultant
- Public safety, law enforcement, and aviation-security subject matter expert with experience working on national level projects/studies.
- MPA, Organizational Management – American Military University, Charlestown, WV, 2017
- BA, Homeland Security, Summa Cum Laude – American Military University, Charlestown, WV, 2013
- School of Police Staff and Command, Class #321 – Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2011
- California POST – Executive, Advanced, Intermediate and Basic Peace Officer Certificates
- Washington State Criminal Justice TRAINING COMMISSION – Basic and Supervisory Peace Officer Certificates
- Colorado POST – Basic Peace Officer Certificate
- California Police Chiefs Association – Executive Leadership Institute at Drucker School of Management
- California POST – Executive Development Course
- California Police Chiefs Association – Role of the Police Chief/City Manager Course
- International Association of Chiefs of Police – Leadership in Police Organizations
- FBI – Law Enforcement Executive Development Association – Executive Leadership Institute
- FBI – Law Enforcement Executive Development Association – Management Leadership Institute
- FBI – Law Enforcement Executive Development Association – Supervisory Leadership Institute
JOIN US IN ELECTING JEFF HOYNE FOR MONTEREY COUNTY SHERIFF
Sign up to the Newsletter to get the latest news from Jeff and stay connected with us throughout the campaign.